Thursday, June 4, 2009

Change Your Mind & Your Body

Fitness is for both the mind & the body. It never stops at one or the other. And they both affect each other. We see many people who focus only on one - whether it's the mind or the body - but not both. Eventually it'll cause a breakdown of both.

You are only as strong as your weakest link. So why not keep all your links strong, okay? In fact, health and fitness is about living a complete healthy lifestyle. It's your whole life, not just a certain period of time. I have many of my clients who say they don't have the time to workout or go to the gym. If you just take a look at the people of Okinawa, they don't have gyms either. Yet, they are among the healthiest and longest living people anywhere in the world. They live a healthy life. The use the environment as their workout. They garden. They focus on moving their bodies as much as possible.

It's the same with using the mind in keeping it fit. You can read books, do crossword puzzles, Sudoku, mind games, interact with other people, & so forth. I'm always studying something or taking classes. While I pursue my Ph.D. in psychology, I also plan on getting my masters in exercise science. Additionally, studying new languages helps to challenge other parts of my brain. Playing a musical instrument or doing artwork keeps the creative side of my brain working.

You can even do mind training and exercise together. Yoga or Tai Chi work both your body as well as creating a relaxed concentration. New exercises or workout routines also challenge the body and the mind. They are interconnected.

Have fun with what you do too.

Cheers,

Bob :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment